3.21.2013

Screen time (keeping it real...)

At the beginning of February, Kit and I realized that Ryder was really racking up lots of "screen time" between the iPad, iPhone, and tv/movies.  Now I want to say that we think there is nothing wrong with using technology and kids, we just weren't using it in moderation.  The problem I found was that in my "survival period", right after Eden was born, I felt like I couldn't entertain him at all so my first response was to give him one of the above devices or put a movie on.  Around thanksgiving, I think that I switched from "just-trying-to-survive-so-I-have-to-use-them", to "I-am-just-lazy-and-I-don't-want-to-plan-things-with-two-kiddos."  That transition was a really hard one for me to face, but I am SO THANKFUL that we did.   Over the last few months, we have dropped our screen time down to about 30-40 minutes a day and it has been awesome!  I feel better because there is more interaction and communication with Ryder, there is less battling of the wills over turning something off or giving it back.  We are outside more, we read more, and I feel like he is more tired at the end of the day.  It forces me to be more of a planner and that has been such a good thing for me in regards to motherhood and our daily activities.  I can get into such a rut!  We are thankful to be going in a better direction and I am so thankful for those of you that prayed for us as we parented Ryder during this specific transition.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, don't get me wrong, we will have special movie nights, or matinees where we make popcorn and snacks and snuggle together but more on a weekly basis.  He will use my iPhone if we are waiting at the doctors office or in a long line at Costco, but it is very rare and he views it as such a treat rather than an entitlement.