6.28.2012

being sentimental

In my family, I am known as the one who can't get rid of anything with emotional or sentimental value. I like to think that I actually have a heartbeat, as opposed to my mom and sister who are all about organization and decluttering.  
(No heartbeat for them...)
So with that being said, I like it when something that I have, that has a sentimental connection for me, can be used around our house for decorating.
A corner that has been needing a little something is the top of Ryder's book shelf.  I don't know what it is but it feels like there should be more height there...  
So I decided to use a globe that I had in my room growing up.  (Yep, I was THAT kid who had a globe, and yep, I loved looking at it...)
 it's a little outdated:
I love seeing it up in his room.  But it looked a little lonely.  So I decided to pair it with my grandpa's old tackle box.  
It had little fishing treasures in it (all unused):
 his reel:
I didn't think of my grandpa as a fisherman (at all...), but he did have a sense of humor, so I can appreciate that in his tackle box were matches from a seafood restaurant in San Diego.  He knew if he couldn't actually catch a fish dinner himself, he knew where he could buy one.
I really like how it turned out:
 Yes, I cleaned it before I let him play with it...
Not only do I really like how it looks in his room, but I love that each one has a story behind it.
Someday, Kit will teach Ryder and Eden how to fish (just like he taught me) and maybe they will get their own tackle boxes♥.