2.27.2010

The proper care and feeding of husbands...

A couple of years ago I read the book "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands", and I think that it really changed how I do things in our house. I don't necessarily agree with everything in the book, but it made some great points that changed my mindset and the environment I create in our home, especially with Kit in mind.
For example, both Kit and I have jobs that require long hours and we both want our home to be a place of rest and unwinding after our long work days. So, for each other, we both think of what the house will be like when the other person arrives home from work. We take everything into account, from lighting to music to smells (think food...)... When we get home, there is relief when we walk in the door. We also try to greet each other with a 10 second kiss each time one of us arrives home.

Anyway, I have been thinking about those initial weeks after Ryder's arrival and how I KNOW the calm factor will probably go out the window, but I can still make the effort right?
So yesterday, I made a couple of Kit's (and my) favorite recipes to freeze and I was so proud of myself for thinking ahead.
So my hope is that even when I am still in my pajamas and it's 6 pm, and I'm delirious with sleep deprivation and I haven't showered for a day or so and I just want to cry, I know that our house will smell good, that Kit will be fed and that we will still have 10 second kisses coming our way.