10.20.2014

the museum

This last week, the kids and I went out to Redlands for the day to give Kit a full day at home to prepare for speaking over the weekend.  
We always have so much fun with our family and it always feel like a mini vacation for us for all the ways that we are spoiled...
We pretty much ALWAYS take a trip to the little local museum.
These are the favorite exhibits:
Then the bird exhibit:
They love to push the buttons to hear the different bird sounds:
The museum recently opened a new exhibit about fossils and it was really cool:
This was our first time going through it:
Here's the funny thing about this little museum:  It's the place that I went on field trips starting in early elementary school, which makes me so nostalgic to see Ryder running though the halls and looking at all the same things I did when I wasn't much older than he was.  They can't read the information panels at this point or tell your the genus and species of the animals, but they know where the bear and mule deer "live" in the mammal hall, That bears eat berries and fish, that the owls say "HOO HOO" and are up at night,  and they know where the "blue footed booby" bird is because when I was that age: 1. an animal with blue feet just seemed crazy and 2. the word "booby" made all the kids giggle.♥
It's sweet to have a place that hasn't changed very much in the last few decades, and yet can still get so much excitement from my little people...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then we went home and my dad BBQed burgers and my sister read to the Little Miss:
It is so great to have family that live a drivable distance so that we can make memories like this...