5.14.2012

motherhood

We had a wonderful mother's day being with my family.  It is so fun that there is a holiday that singles out mother's and father's.   Each are such special and significant roles to me!
We had a great time:
It all started with Kit sending me roses:
I'm in love with that man!
Then we headed to my parents house for some good food and time in the pool:
(Kit took one for the team!)
Our favorite meal:
my dad's pasta and garlic bread:
Ryder working on his cousin's plate, after eating his own, when he thought no one was looking:
Getting our mom a family tree pillow from Etsy:
some mom pictures:
 
 
Eden slept the majority of the time that we were there,
 but I did get a picture with my favorite boy!
Sometimes, I don't think of myself as a mother, I just think of myself as Ryder's mom and Eden's mom, but I can have a hard time thinking of myself as being part of MOTHERHOOD.  (Does that make sense?) I have found that there is a difference between raising kids and parenting kids.  Raising is meeting basic needs, getting them where they need to go, getting band aides and having food in the fridge ...ect. Parenting involves nurturing the people that they are becoming and pouring yourself into who God has created them to be.  Let me tell you, motherhood has taught me that raising is a heck of a lot easier than parenting.  I learn every day that I need to be on my knees in prayer for these lives that have been entrusted to our care.  NOTHING is more humbling than parenthood.  In my experience, motherhood is the funniest, hardest, frustrating, most gloriously joyful role in the whole world.   It's about being purposeful and intentional.  Parenting expects every part of your being to be fully engaged, which can be the most exhausting thing ever, but to this day, I have never done ANYTHING more rewarding, or enjoyed anything more.  From the moment that I first saw each of my babies, I realized that motherhood was something I was created to do, and it is my privilege to do it.  It is my joy to be their mom, to make their meals and clean their messes, while soothing hurts and being present with them, in the good and the bad, laughing with them,  all while praying to God that He would give me wisdom, grace, and patience. (And that I wouldn't screw them up TOO badly...)  
Ryder and Eden, 
You two have blessed me with your existence and I thank the Lord every day that we get to live life together.  I love you both so much, with a depth and intensity that you won't really understand until you have your own kids.  Thank you for letting me be your mommy!
PS: Kit, thank you for making me a mom and giving me these two incredible little people! Thanks for doing parenthood with me.  I love you so....
I leave you with one of my favorite motherhood quotes:
Making the decision to have a child is momentous.  It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.  ~Elizabeth Stone
I hope you have a wonderful week!