12.26.2011

unexpected blessings:holiday weekend recap

On Christmas Eve, Ryder and I were on our way to meet Kit at church to attend our Christmas eve service.  As we were getting in the car, Kit called and said that he was on his way home with a fever, and the inability to keep anything in his system.

So Kit got home about 1:30 pm and went to sleep until about 8pm, feeling sick and weak... I felt so bad for the poor guy. Ryder was in a bit of a teething funk and had decided that he wasn't really going to nap that day.   So Ryder and I tried to make some fun holiday memories by taking toffee and tangelos to our neighbors, watching Christmas movies, and reading the Christmas story and other Christmas books while he played with his toys... It just didn't feel right with Kit out of commission.  I have to be honest, as the day went on, my attitude went downhill fast.  I was bummed I had to work the following day, Kit was miserable, and I did not feel the holiday spirit.  We had Dino nuggets, pastina, and bananas for dinner and I kept thinking "What if this is Ryder's first Christmas memory? No Kit, no special meal, and a grumpy mom... "  Blah!  (Ryder LOVES Dino nuggets so he was as content as can be...)
But then, after I got Ryder bathed, Kit came out and we read the Jesus Storybook bible and the Luke 2 passage with Ryder and it seemed to bring me out of my funk.  We sat by our lit tree and Ryder was so excited to see Kit and he sat with him and pointed out his favorite pictures in his bible...  It brought the whole meaning of Christmas to the forefront.  It was a nice way to end a not so fun Christmas eve. (Unexpected blessing #1.)

Then, on Christmas morning, I was called off of work.  I WAS THRILLED! (Unexpected blessing #2).  Then when Kit woke up he was really weak, but didn't have a fever and was able to keep water in.  (Unexpected blessing #3.) Then,  Ryder woke up in the most delightful, non-teething, happy spirit.  (Unexpected blessing #4.)  We made waffles (Kit took it pretty easy) but Ryder and I LOVED them!  Especially since at that point in the day, I would have already put in about three hours at work, being home was such a joy.
  
We videoed Ryder opening presents and Kit was able to be with us, even though he wasn't feeling the best, we were all together (Unexpected blessing #5.)  Ryder got a really cool car from Kit's parents and he LOVED it!  He will get so much joy from this... Thank you Eric and Diane!
We got Ryder a play tool set from Costco and his favorite was the drill.  It lights up and spins and is about the same size as one of Kit's Makita drills.  My walls are very happy that Ryder has found a substitute for the real thing...  He walked around wearing the tool belt, just looking for "house projects" that he could tackle.  When he couldn't find any, the default was to drill his belly button.
Both of the guys napped and rested and that is a HUGE blessing in itself!  It makes the day so much better... (Unexpected blessing #6.)
Our neighbors made us an amazing meal, since they thought that Kit would be home alone with Ryder, so I got to join in the festivities. (Unexpected blessing #7.)  We were able to get to my parents house way earlier than if I had worked, which gave us more family time. (Unexpected blessing #8.)

We are planning to be with family the next few days, which will be really nice and Kit is off the WHOLE WEEK!  
The only thing we have on the schedule is time with family and my mom is doing a 4D ultrasound on Tuesday.
We hope that you had a wonderful Christmas and I am sure we will have more updates after our time away...
See you later!