11.05.2013

a little update on my ryder

Here is a little update on what is happening with our Ryder since our visit with the doctor yesterday.
Since Ryder has had diarrhea for over three weeks, we are in the middle of a stool series, for culture and sensitivity and for parasites.  Three different samples,  over the course of three days.  Let me tell you, it's a real hoot!  
We also had to do a blood test to check his electrolytes and a standard blood panel to check for infection and anemia yesterday.  The poor little guy had to be stuck TWICE and he handled it like a champ! He watched the whole thing and only cried when she said she had to do it again and used a larger gauge needle.  After we were done, he kept saying "That pokey thing really hurt me twice!"
Here he is handing in his lab slip to the phlebotomist.
 Here he is telling me ALL about how excited he was that it was over.  I was too!
(We also were headed to Target to pick up some Legos as a treat for how brave he was.)
I realized that as awful as today was for all the poking and prodding, it's not our life.  I was reminded of families that we know with kids that have cancer and that days like today are the norm for them.  I found myself incredibly grateful how healthy we are, what good hands we are in, and that there are people making sure we have the best care for our family.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eden got the "it just has to run it's course" and that her ears are perfectly healthy.  It was a banner day for the Little Miss!