4.10.2012

a little irony

Last friday at Ryder's 2 year check up, our pediatrician evaluated Ryder as delayed for speech.  She thinks his comprehension is well beyond where it needs to be, but his ability to express himself through words will need a little help from a speech therapist.  I was so bummed.  I was bummed because I envisioned that we were going to need to take him to a doctors office, that the evaluation would take place in a sterile room and I just knew that an environment like that would freak Ryder out.  I felt bummed for times that I had reprimanded Ryder for acting out frustrations, realizing that he was probably so irritated that I didn't know what he wanted or how he wanted me to do something.  (plus, he's two...)  I felt bummed because no one wants their child to be "delayed" in anything.
Well, after talking with family and calling the regional center, I feel so much more informed and relaxed!  They are planning to send a therapist to our house so that Ryder is the most comfortable, being in his own environment.  They will give us tools and exercises to help Ryder communicate and express himself, which will minimize some of the frustration that he gets right now when we just don't understand him.  (However, he is still going to be two when this process is over, so I am sure there will still be "frustrations" for both ourselves and Ryder♥)  
I also realized that he won't be "delayed" for long.  I mean, the irony is not lost on me that MY kid is delayed for speech.  Everyone, just get ready, Ryder is about to take the words he knows, the language that he has created, and turn it into some serious talking.  (I mean come on, he's OUR kid...)
I don't know the time line for things but I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Thank you for those who have shared encouragement with us!  You are so appreciated!
(I can't wait to see when his words start coming AND he continues to use his hand and face gestures that he uses now... it will get crazy!  He is Italian after all...♥)