11.27.2009

These are a few of my favorite things...

Thanksgiving is all about your close friends and family and FOOD. It doesn't get much better than the combination of those things. Each year I am reminded of how much I love two things:
1. mashed potatoes
2. green bean casserole
I mean, we love food and there really isn't anything that I don't like but these two are just my favorite!
So here is a recipe that my mom makes and this was the first year that I made it and we loved it! (I find that my parents just make things better than I do, even if I do the exact same thing...)

We call this "potatoes like mom makes":

Cook 7-8 large potatoes
Quartered and peeled (we leave the skins on) and boiled in salted water
drain potatoes and mash well with:
8 ounces cream cheese
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 cup sour cream
(I also add a handful of shredded cheddar cheese, but it's optional)

place in a greased 9x13. You can make it ahead of time and then heat it up the day you are ready to eat it. I haven't tried freezing it so freeze with caution...

On the day you are using it, melt 1/2 a stick of butter and pour on top of the dish. (I added a little cheese to the top of mine too...)
Bake uncovered for about an hour at 350 degrees
Enjoy!
I hope that you all had a wonderful thanksgiving!