9.25.2009

Southern Cookin'

So the other night I wanted to make a special dinner for Kit because of all the hard work he has been putting in at work and I thought I would make BBQ pulled pork sandwiches with homemade coleslaw. It was awesome, if I do say so myself and Kit said it was one of the best things I have ever made. So, I thought with a comment like that, I wanted to share the recipe. Besides, it's crazy easy!

For the pulled pork:
I bought pork shoulder (bone out) and covered it in a mixture of sea salt, ground pepper and garlic powder, as well as with 1/2 a red onion, quartered and sliced. I placed it in my slow cooker on low for 9 hours. After it had cooked for about 5 hours, I drained some of the juice and then added approx. 2 cups of BBQ sauce. (I used Sweet Baby Ray's original) then I let it cook for the remainder of the time. I just pulled it apart with two forks and put it on onion hamburger buns (because they are Kit's favorite.)

We ate them with the coleslaw and corn bread and it was pretty darn tasty. We put the coleslaw on the sandwiches but you could just have it as a side.

Here is the recipe for the coleslaw:
Here's a basic coleslaw with a tangy mayonnaise dressing, and it's a great choice for summer meals. Serve this coleslaw with barbecue or sandwiches.

Ingredients:

  • 6 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 2/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Preparation:

Toss cabbage in a large bowl with the carrots. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour the mixture over the cabbage and carrots and toss to coat thoroughly. Refrigerate until serving time.
Serves 6.
There was no time to take pictures... we were too busy eating! But it was awesome, so try it with your family. It would also be a great one to do with having people over because there was lots of food left over.

Enjoy!