10.03.2017

gratitude

This time last year I was preparing for my trip to Africa.  One of the prayers that I had after that trip was that I would not leave unchanged.  That my heart would be forever transformed and that I would view God's world and His people with different eyes.  Oh how I never want to forget the things I saw or the things I experienced in Uganda.  To name a few: kids with no shoes or clothes, families walking miles for water, homes with no electricity or plumbing (or solid walls!), moms piecing meals together out of nothing in a country surviving famine and recovering from war, people unable to read or write their name because they needed to work for money for their families instead of going to school... But most IMPORTANTLY, what I experienced was in the midst of all of that, I saw the most incredible joy!  It was heaven on earth.  It was humbling to witness. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm praying that I would always have a grateful heart to remember in my day to day:
Making school lunches and meals: 
We have SO much food available to us and how thankful I am that we can feed our family!
Laundry (loads and loads...)
We are able to clothe our children, to get them what they need when it is cold or hot, and shoes that enable them to walk, run, and play!
Cleaning our home:  
We have a place to call ours that protects us, and where we can invite people into and that can be a safe place for our family to create traditions and memories.
(Also it has electricity and indoor plumbing!)
Homework and school projects: 
We have an incredible school that teaches our children and creates environments for them to grow mentally and learn important lessons inside and outside of the classroom.
Work schedules: 
We are EMPLOYED in professions that we LOVE!
Sports practices and games: 
We have a community through our city and school community that we love and we have bodies that are healthy that enable the kids to have FUN! It's a choice to participate...
Creating family time and date nights: 
Oh how I love and ADORE the family that I have and the marriage that God has given me!  Each day that we have together is a gift!
Each of these things are gifts from the Lord and not one is a burden or hardship.  They are joys and reminders of God's provision and my prayer is that I would always remember His goodness with a grateful heart!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh this list is not by any means exhaustive, but I was so thankful that God brought all these things back to the forefront of my mind.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love our family in Uganda and all the ways they showed me the heart of Jesus...
I will be back someday...❤︎