1.10.2017

Uganda

There is no way to tell you how incredible the trip was or to sum up the time that I was in Uganda.  I can only share highlights and photos that tried to capture what the experience was like...
our send off crew:
I will not lie, it was tough to leave the kids but oh my goodness, they were in the best hands!
Traveling with kit is one of my ALL time favorite things and we we haven't traveled internationally together since 2008.  We were pretty excited about it.
We also had SO much time for pictures...
 After over 20 hours of flying, we arrived to Unganda, in their summer time of 95 degrees and 80% humidity... Yikes it was a adjustment!
Our first night we stayed in Kampala at a retreat center:
The following day we took the 5 hour bus ride to Gulu:
During our time in Gulu, we traveled exclusively by bus and I have to say the things you see while you drive reminds you that you are not in the states anymore:
While in Gulu we stayed at the Churchill Hotel:
Our view, including a rooster, not shown but heard every morning at about 4 am.
Our first stop was at Christ the Center Ministries School:
We were greeted by the children and some of their parents.
It is a school that one of our elders has opened and has been an incredible ministry to the community and it's families.
 Ron and Joy help run and facilitate it and they are the kindest, warmest people that have incredible hearts for these children and their families
We then headed to Gulu Bible Community Church (GBCC) to attend a church service as part of a week long pastors conference that they were putting on:
The worship and prayer in Gulu was unlike anything I have ever seen or experienced.
It was what I envision heaven to be like...
The next day we headed out to see another school that GBCC had started:
 I mean how sweet is this classroom!
We were then able to meet Richard and his wife Lillian before we headed out to the village where they pastor a church.
I can't describe him, but his smile is one of such Joy and humility and it just radiates Jesus.
His village was about an hour drive where we met the children in their school and they did a welcome program for us, attended a church service and then some people went out to the huts to pray for people and I stayed with a group to put on a tiny program for the children:
 Nothing says cross cultural childrens programming like a pupet show...
The kids LOVED it!
Here is our side of the sheet:
And the cutest audience you have ever seen:
Then it was times for games in the hot summer sun:
(Among our games was duck duck goose, blob tag, limbo, a relay race and then we ended with singing Jesus loves me.)
We then headed back to GBCC so that Kit could speak at their conference.
The following day we headed to the New Years celebration that was also coupled with the 10 year anniversary of GBCC where all the churches from all the villages that had launched over the last decade came together to celebrate all that God has done.
It started with a parade that walked about a mile from the school to the church.
 This is Lillian, Richards wife and she is the most precious soul.  We had some really sweet connection time on the trip and I'm excited to serve with her...
 Me and my Hope.  People call her Mama hope because she is Pastor Martin's wife and she does SO much for the community and the families around them, but I kept calling her my sister and she loved it...❤︎
 Pastor Martin and Kit.  when this man prays for you, you see God move in such powerful ways.
He's serious but warm.  We love this man.
Their son is Josiah who we have the privilege to sponsor for school.
The celebration was a day of celebrating different villages and churches, to watching the Bible seminary students graduate, so recognizing people and leaders in the community who have committed to changing Gulu and beyond for Jesus and his Church...
The caterers for the event, since they fed every person who attended.
 Our leaders the Tabers were honored for leading the Uganda ministry in partnership with our church for the last 10 years.  They are such Rock Stars and amazing people and I have been assured that the sash will make an appearance at one of our ROCKHARBOR church services.
That night was New Years and the only photo that we took was of Kit and all the kiddos that he was playing with and showing pictures of our kiddos too:
There was a speaker and worship and then fireworks that were beautiful but SO not safe and too close and one spark one of the children that was standing to close, though no one was hurt.  I don't think I have ever been truly scared of fireworks but I pretty much was nervous until they were over.
They next day was the Sunday church service.  It was three hours and it felt like 20 minutes.  There was teaching from Pastor Martin from Acts, and testimonies were shared from our team.  GBCC launched their 14th church and we prayed over he and his wife and then pastor Martin prayed for our church leadership and spoke words over a few of our leaders, including Kit and it was profound and powerful and filled with such truth of character and what God is doing.  Such a beautiful way to start the year.
Then some people stayed to run a children's program for the kids and some of our leadership met back at Hope and Martins house to discuss plans that what it looks like as we move forward in the new year.  Because of the way the transportation went, I was able to have almost an hour alone with Hope at her house and I was FINALLY able to give their son Josiah the gifts that we had made him:
 And then he gave me a tour of his house as well as giving me the opportunity to pray Zephaniah 3:17 over him, just like we would with Ryder and Eden.
 Her kitchen.  No electricity but a tiny bit of solar.  She cooks huge meals for the people in the community and for gatherings and she does it all with such joy and happiness.  I was humbled by the thankful heart and attitude of gratitude that this woman lives by.  I have SO much to learn.
Their home:
The whole time she spoke of how the Lord had given her her beautiful home and how she loved all that they could use it for for Jesus.  No complaints or critiques... just pure appreciation and gratitude.
We spoke of being moms and wives to pastors and what it is to support that role and raise a family and being obedient to all that God has called you to do and yet times when you feel weary from not being able to carry it all.  We encouraged each other and pray for each other and I felt so loved in out time together.
The following day we headed to Murchison National Park for an overnight safari.  
(On the way, one of the busses hit a bump to hard and one girl on our team fractured her L2 and had a bulging disc.  One girl hit her head, had convulsions and passed out and one of our little girls came down on her stomach and then threw up.  So we took them to a hospital and all I will say is this:  I will forever be thankful of the healthcare that we gave access to and the care that my family can and does receive in the states.  All is now well with each person, but it was INCREDIBLY eye opening for me as a nurse to see a developing country care for the sick and injured.)
After everyone was safe and cared for, we headed out to the safari:
cubs:
(There were four in the long grass...)
My favorite was probably the giraffes:
 They are so majestic.  That water is the Nile!
We stayed here:
 Where our group ate dinner:
 Our room...
The sunrise over the Nile.  The view from our room:
 The view from breakfast:
We did a water tour on the Nile for the Safari the next day:
 I don't think I can tell you how incredible it was to be there...
 HIPPOS!
 Crocodiles!
I love being with this man!
Hiking up to the falls!
 The there was a double rainbow that absolutely took my breath away.  I still can't believe that we did a safari in Africa on the Nile! 
It was just awesome!
The next day we flew to Israel and had a connecting flight in Ethiopia:
 Flying over Ethiopia was more emotional for me than I had planned...
Our Anniversary fell on the day that we flew to Israel, so it started in Uganda, with a connecting flight in Ethiopia and then ended in Israel in Old Jerusalem.
I have been trying to articulate my thoughts on this trip. I have been trying to remember and celebrate and allow the experiences that I had to simmer in my mind and not to be easily forgotten.  I was in Trader Joes and got emotional about all the food that was readily available to us.  I brushed my teeth with water from our faucet and didn't have to worry about getting sick.  I made dinner on my stove and had a full fridge of food for my family and had to stop a minute to tell Jesus thank you.  God allowed so many heart experiences to happen and I am praying that I can intentionally lean into them and see all that God had for me in those experiences.  In one of the church services, my heart felt unsettled and I heard the Voice that I only know as my Saviors that said "You are mine, and I love you."  I pray that I can live into those words to their fullest.  It was an incredible trip and we were able to discuss future projects with their schools and church plants in the villages and children's sponsorships...  I will be back.  I will go with such a heart of fullness to watch all that God has done and will do.
"If you want to go fast, go alone.  If you want to go far, go together."
~African proverb