11.05.2014

our rhythm

"The days are long and the years are short..."  
I don't know who first said this but it is so true.  I find that if there isn't intentionality and pause to be present, things will pass you by in this world of motherhood.  I sometimes think that our day is monotonous, but really, I've come to realize that it's just a rhythm that we are in.  To be honest, it's nice to have things that you can count on and I see the kids appreciate it too.
With Ryder in preschool three mornings a week, we have come to thoroughly enjoy our family time when we are all together.  I really want to remember the sweet moments and not just think of it as the "blur" that it can sometimes feel like.  For one of our days where Ryder didn't have to go to school, I just snapped pictures throughout our day, just glimpses of the normal routine and rhythm... 
Waffles and bacon are the current favorites for breakfast:
 Smoothie's make every morning so much better...
(My kids fight over who will push the button on the blender so our rule is that we trade off who turns it on and who turns it off.  Full-on tears will ensue if turns are not properly taken...)
While I cleaned up breakfast they did their own play time:
(We are slow to get out of pajamas...)
Telling secrets with their favorite blankets:
My first cup of coffee for the day accompanied by some smoothie:
(My mom gave me this mug and I swear it makes coffee taste better and I leave it in this nook in my kitchen because it can't be reached by little hands or knocked over and it's conveniently located next to the coffee maker for easy fill ups...)
The play room is probably the biggest blessing in the morning:
(On this particular morning, Ryder wouldn't give her a particular car (though he shared all the others...) and she proceeded to try to bite him in the back. She has never bitten anyone before. She was unsuccessful but her favorite blanket was taken away until nap time, which led to such a sad girl...
That led to him having the playroom to himself while she tried to barter to get it back.)
Ryder spent 20 minutes getting a picture of our family "just right":
I loaded some pictures for editing while the kids played next to me:
Eden found me and her request was to watch a family video that Kit had made:
(On this particular day, she chose the photo montage of when she was born and she loves the picture of Kit holding both she and Ryder...)
Then it is time to get dressed and Ryder asked to read books together:
We sat on the floor for about an hour.  Eden found a back up blanket that she was able to TOLERATE until she was able to get her blanket back.  Reading is my favorite thing that we do together at home♥.) 
Then it's time for a special activity:
(Sometimes we run errands or bake or craft.) On this particular day, we pulled down the beans and they played together while I made lunch:
45 minutes later, their lunch was served:
While I cleaned up lunch, they played a little bit more:
Then we wound down for nap time with the Wallace and Gromit episode of "A Matter of Loaf and Death":
While they watched, I sat and folded laundry and organized clothes with sizes that were too small and for cooler weather.  By the time we get to this time of the day, I am ready for a rest and a break and just can't wait for my kiddos to go down for their naps.
While they napped, I read blogs, got on Pinterest and visited Stars Hallow and dozed until the kids woke up.
(These days, it's roughly 1-2 hours before Ryder wakes up, but Eden will sleep longer, God bless her...)
Ryder came down and we watched an episode of Wild Kratts and then a little bit later, Eden joined us and we watched the halloween episode on Super Why.
Ryder left to play with his toys:
 Eden came and went while reading books and trying to join Ryder in his play time.  
Then Legos made an appearance on the scene and the two sat so peacefully together while I finished dinner.
(When this happens I just send up a prayer of praise because it feels so calm in our house...)
Then the blessed event when Kit walked in the door...
wrestling and chasing and tackling immediately commenced:
Tacos are a favorite around here.
Baths, brushing teeth (Eden is convinced that if she just sucks the toothpaste off her toothbrush, that counts for proper oral hygiene. Oh that girl.), and reading, and then bedtime at about 730p for Eden.
Ryder and Kit stayed up to watch an episode of Meat Eater and then he was in bed at 8p.
We then hunkered down for some Good Wife episodes and were in bed by 11p.  (Very early for us!)
It's funny how there was nothing particularly monumental that happened that day, but I realize how many significant and special moments that occurred during our time together...
I look at what feels like minutia and monotony and realize that I wouldn't want to be in anything other than this beautiful rhythm that we are in together♥.