4.19.2010

spring cleaning (and organizing...)

So I have been following blogs recently that have been focusing on de-cluttering and cleaning their homes. I am amazed how organized these women can be. One of the biggest things that I struggle with is how I get attached to stuff based on a memory it represents or the sentimentality in general related to certain things. I have tried to stick to the idea that if I bring stuff into our house, I have to let other things go. Well, with our little man's arrival, I have noticed that TONS of items are coming in and really nothing is going out... So I have taken the challenge to tackle small cabinets at a time and make my way through our house. I have already tackled both of our bathrooms (I know, it would have been pathetic had I needed to de-clutter the newly remodeled bathroom, but still, all of Ryder's stuff is in there and it is all organized and in bins...), three drawers to our desk (two more to go...), all of our kitchen cabinets containing non-perishible items, (the pantry and spice/baking area remain to be my biggest nemesis in the kitchen...),our hall way closet, and our console table that holds all of our camera, phone and computer cables... The great part of this de-cluttering process is that you can clean as you go, so not only does stuff feel more organized, but it feels so much cleaner too. It also feels so good to donate items that would otherwise go unused. I know that with our little guy, stuff is going to keep coming into our house, but it seems that I have a decent game plan at this point so that clutter doesn't get out of control. Plus, doing a little bit at a time is really easy to do and isn't overwhelming at all.

Here is the blog that I have enjoyed following through this cleaning process. click here to follow.