8.19.2009

Our kitchen...

When we moved into our house almost six years ago, the kitchen had just been completely redone. We really liked everything they chose, with one tiny exception...
the counter tops.
They are corian, which is great, they are durable and there really is a lot of counter space.
I am a brat for even bringing it up, but I am growing and this has been a very good experience of appreciation for what we have.
With that said...
Ok, my biggest issue is the color. The manufacturer named the color "forest" but they must have meant some magical forest because in the 11 years that our family has gone backpacking, I have NEVER seen this color in nature. My counter tops are a not very pretty shade of turquoise.
I tried to get a picture, but nothing really captures it well enough.

Our whole counter top deal made me realize how selfish I can be. Here we have this beautiful house that we love and I have a kitchen that I can make meals for friends and family (I am working on my cooking skills, just ask Kit...) and it really does meet all of our needs.

So about 6 months ago I decided to embrace that magical "forest" color and have been bringing in colors that I like that work well with it. It was a little bit of a challenge at first but then I found material at Ikea that pulled our whole kitchen together. It has brown and black and the EXACT green from our dining room, and there are three shades of blue and one of them is the exact color of the countertops.
It also has some other colors that have been fun to bring into our kitchen. It sounds so silly, but putting this yard and a half of material up has made a HUGE difference.



So the color that I pulled out to use the most is orange. Between dish towels, displayed cookbooks, and my tea kettle, orange has become one of my new favorite colors.

Here is my tea kettle. I love it...
(When I was little, I was one of those kids who saw that cartoon movie, "The Brave Little Toaster" and believed that certain household appliances had feelings, so I am sure that there is something from that childhood memory that makes me love my little tea kettle so much...)
I got these dish towels at Ikea and they have the same counter top color in them, plus they have the orange that I was using, so I was really excited about that.


So now, when we get home, (our kitchen is the first thing that greets us...) we really have become fond of our quirky kitchen color. It feels so much more like home to us.
And it has been a great experience for me to be content and to appreciate what we have, because we really have so much...