8.14.2009

Closets...

About 6 months ago I watched an episode of Oprah, where the guest was Peter Walsh, a professional organizer from the show Clean Sweep. He redid a woman's closet and gave this tip on when you know that you need to get rid of clothes that you aren't wearing. He recommended, at the beginning of a season (which is hard because southern california doesn't really get seasons...) that you flip all your hangers on the bar backwards. Then as you wear an item, that hanger flips forward. He then recommended at the end of the season, or at 6 months, that you get rid of the clothes that are still on backwards hangers.

It was said on that show that the average person in the US only wears 20% of their wardrobe. Think how many people are in the world that could use all those clothes! I am not usually someone who gives stuff away, so I thought this would be a good challenge for me. So in April, I flipped all my hangers and today I started pulling stuff out that I haven't worn, and really don't plan on wearing, that was on the backwards hangers.

I got a good bag of stuff for give away. It felt good to think of stuff that I have had for awhile that has been just sitting there that will go to good homes and get some use.
I have a group of friends/family that I exchange clothes with and then from there we donate what nobody can use.
So, girlies, I have some clothes coming your way!