6.04.2015

open house

The elementary school that Ryder will be attending in the fall had an open house.  The four of us went to see the kindergarten classrooms, meet the teachers, and show Ryder where he will actually be going to kindergarten.  We headed in through the Kindergarten entrance and I can't even tell you how the lump in my throat started to build. I completely kept it together but I can tell you that I will be a mess when it actually comes time to drop him off at this big kid elementary school.
We walked through two of the kindergarten classrooms and then he and Eden played on the playground.
Right after this picture was taken, he fell off the monkey bars, landing on the side of his face and his tummy, scratching both and when he saw that there was some blood, he freaked out.  Then we needed to leave to get Ryder cleaned up and Eden COMPLETELY melted down.  So I had to walk back to our car, past so many families with an unglued daughter.  Once we got back to the car, we remembered  that we had promised Ryder an ice-cream treat in celebration of visiting his school. It's the same thing that we had gotten when we found out that he gotten into this school: strawberry ice-cream.  (Also the same thing that we got at 9 in the morning for breakfast while Kit was in India, but I'm not going to bore you AGAIN with that story...)
He was so happy!
I had this idea in my head that we would find out who his teacher would be but that won't happen until later in the summer.  I had this idea that I would get to talk with other new families and take more time hearing about what a day would look like for Ryder.  (I know, my teacher friends are laughing at the thought that I would think ANY of that would happen on an open house, one of the most stressful days of school for teachers.  What can I say, I had a completely delusional dream...♥)  I will get all the information that I need over the next few weeks and the back to school night will go much better.  I just can't wait for all that this school will hold for Ryder and Eden, and in turn, for Kit and I! And all that to say, what we did get to walk away with was an excitement for fall and all the experiences that this school experience will be.  Ryder kept saying things like "This is my school! I get to go here Eden, and you will too when you are big and five like me...!♥"  You know what?  That made all the craziness worth it.  (And to my teacher friends, don't you worry, I have altered my expectations on future open house events!)