10.02.2023

September books

 I have gotten back into my reading routine and have gotten to read some great books this month!

This book by Bonhoeffer was an unpacking of Christian community and though written in the 1940's, felt current and had incredible insight and challenges for me as I considered what is it to be part of a Christian community and family today. It is short but SO meaty and I was thankful for the language that he gave to concepts that I rarely sit with in my day to day life. Reading through this book also brought me to research his life and that in itself was a powerful story of one who LOVED Jesus and those around him...
The next book I read was "Till we have Faces", where C.S. Lewis retells the Greek myth of Cupid and Psyche, but rather than making Psyche the heroine of the story, Lewis makes the main character Orual, Psyche's older sister, a strong woman with a hideous face.  It was a story of love between characters and utlimately Lewis uses the recounting of the myth to point the reader toward faith.  I really enjoyed it!
I read this coming of age story recommended to me by my sister.  The two characters, Libby and Jack, are developed really well by the author.  Every other chapter alternates the perspective of either Jack or Libby and their stories and struggles seem to relevant and how their unlikely relationship develops was really sweet to see.   It wouldn't be a story everyone would enjoy, but I really liked it.