1.11.2013

settling down and some thoughts on motherhood

After all the traveling and exciting things that we have been doing, it was a little weird how quiet everything has suddenly felt this past week.  (Don't misunderstand me, my kiddos were definitely the loudest part of the last few weeks, but you know what I mean, right?)
So I have been trying to get us back on our normal routine and schedules.  The tv has been off and we have been spending HOURS in the kids rooms playing with new toys and just being together.
  I'll sit on the floor and play, or I will sit in the chair and read, but it's so peaceful being together.  Ryder makes Eden laugh and he hands her toys.  Our rule is if he wants something that she has, he has to find another toy to "trade" with her.  So far, over the last few months this rule has worked for us.  I am so thankful for that!  I love just getting to witness these moments and be PRESENT for them.
In the evenings and during nap times, I have been having so much fun editing photos from our trips and activities and organizing them in albums.  I have carved out time to journal to both of the kids and fill out baby books.  It's really something that I enjoy doing.  I love seeing how the kids are changing and growing!  (I think that last year at this time, Ryder had about 15 words and really wasn't able to verbally communicate with me... I am so thankful for all of his growth!)
Kit and I look through the albums and have fun reminiscing over special moments that we have shared as a family.  When I think about this last year, there was so much of it that felt like I was in a fog.  I kept thinking "There are two of them and one of me!  How will I ever be able to do this?  How will I be able to nurture them and get them what they need?  I feel so strung out and tired ALL THE TIME!"
The beautiful thing is that those are the moments that I feel dependence on Christ and I am able to relinquish control.  A few moths ago a started coming out of that fog and I felt like I could really ENJOY being a mom of two little people.  I look at photos of the early days with Ryder and I feel this overwhelming sense of thankfulness and pride that I get to be his mom, and that we made it though those early day hurdles.  I look at photos of Ryder holding Eden or making her laugh and my heart swells again at what a  beautiful thing it is to have a sibling.  I am so thankful that they have each other!
I am so excited for all that 2013 holds and a goal that I have is continuing to invite Christ to be the center of this little life that we are living, and that I will continue to find balance in this thing called motherhood.
I hope that you have a wonderful weekend!
(I can't wait to tell you about ours.  It involves Kit facilitating the wedding vow renewal of two of our favorite people...  See you on Monday!)