9.29.2011

wedding reception planning part 1

Our friends, Chris and Maxie, who were married this last June in South Africa, are having a California wedding reception here in December and I am heading up the decorations. I have this pressure to make it really beautiful and memorable with the realization that I am, um, not getting any smaller or less pregnant, so I want to work ahead.

Here is a snapshot from their wedding day that I am using for my inspiration for the decorations:
I love the turquoise and chalkboards and the rustic feel of it all together, so I am hoping to put my own spin on it. I am starting with one of my favorite things ever: oil cloth banners.
They have so many fun saturated colors that I know I can play on their rustic wedding feel.

Also, I found these chalkboards at Michaels and had used them for our fourth of July block party. Kit was telling me how chalkboards seem to be really big in South Africa and they were used all over in their wedding. So, to make the little ones that I have fit a little bit better for this event, I am spray painting them turquoise.

Before:
(I used painter's tape to cover the slate so that I could get an even paint line.)
After:
I am really excited about how things are coming together. This is the stuff about throwing a party that I love! There are more details that I am working on... I will keep you posted!