8.22.2013

creating: story rocks and rock painting

While we were on vacation a few weeks ago, Ryder and I collected lots of rocks on the beach to take home and paint.  I had seen this idea to make story rocks: you paint a different image on each rock and the child pulls them out of a bag and you create a story with the images.
 Ryder had so much fun painting his rocks.  The hardest part was keeping his sister occupied.  Right after this photo, she was placed in her high chair with play dough.
  The sweetest part was asking Ryder what makes a good story/what should be in our stories.  His confidence in my artistic ability made me smile.  "Mama, do a dinosaur! Ok, now a snake! Oh mama, that's really cool!" He is so precious to me...
That led to the request for the knife, snake, dinosaur, treasure chest, and fire.
The rock with stick figures came from the question "Who would you want to go on an adventure with?"  Yep, you guessed it, he said Kit.  I asked if Eden and I could tag along so he had me draw the four of us so that we could all be in the story. ♥