2.21.2013

purging

First, let me say that giving things a way is REALLY hard for me.  I want to keep what's "mine" and I feel such an unhealthy emotional connection to inanimate objects, it's just so silly.  (I blame it on the movie "The Brave Little Toaster"♥)  So knowing that I had stuff that needed to be thrown out or given away was a really a hard project to start.  All that to say, the Lord did some amazing things in the process!
So in hopes of  making some changes in our home, I have been able to go through 90% of our closets, cabinets, and drawers in our house.   They are not all organized but there is so much less STUFF to have to deal with!  (I am not going to lie, I only went through half of the garage and realized that I needed Kit to help me.   I quickly got overwhelmed and have decided to tackle that area when we are together, because isn't stuff like that so much more fun when you are together?♥  I think that Kit is hoping for more space for his fish... good God!)  

I was so surprised at how many things made it into the trash.  I had junk that had made it's way all over the house! The Lord did some really cool things!  He opened my eyes to needs around me, he showed me a glimpse of what living generously can look like, and I felt that it cleared some spaces that felt really chaotic and that allowed me to clear some space mentally.  (I am feeling less chaotic, which was a huge goal!), so that i can focus  ore on Christ.  

I want to remember how good it feels that things are cleaned out and when what is left is being used, and that things are going to good homes rather than sitting, unused, in my closet.  (By the way, I gave several bags of clothes away and my closet feels bigger!  I know what I have and I wear what I own and I have been having fun getting creative with what is there.  Who knew!)
I hold on to everything and everything has a sentimental attachment so this has been a hard one for me.  For me, I was holding onto stuff with the thought  "maybe I will use that someday..."  If you struggle with it like I do, here is what helped me: change that thought to "SOMEONE NEEDS IT RIGHT NOW...."  It will make me get rid of stuff every time. I am now in the mindset that keeps going through things so that things don't build up again.