4.07.2011

A little birthday recap...

On Tuesday, Kit and I kept saying that we really wanted to make his actual birthday special. We wanted to commemorate it in some significant way... So here is how our little man's first birthday went:
We got him birthday doughnuts (sprinkled doughnut holes) and we took pictures and video of him eating it... it was really sweet. We sang happy birthday and he had a little candle...I can't wait to give him cake on Saturday!
Then we went to one of our favorite outings: Barnes and Noble. We went to the reading time where we heard the book Olivia...one of our favorites! Then, because we are Kids Club members, Ryder got a special birthday cupcake. (We saved it for later, just in case you were worried I was going to wire him up on all that sugar by 11 am... ) And because I am sentimental, I found a special book about little boys titled All the Things I Love About You by LeUyen Pham.
(PS: the dedication in the book is : "For all those many mamas who love their little boys, this book is just for you..." I almost cried in the store... It's hard to believe that before we know it, he will be headed off to school...)If you have a boy, check this book out...

Until Kit got home, we spent the day playing on his floor, reading our favorite books, stacking and knocking down blocks... all of Ryder's favorites... I kept watching him thinking "We have a one year old?!" It was a really sweet afternoon... These are the moments that I just love being a mom!
We then headed to a Color Me Mine in Brea and painted a special plate with Ryder's handprint, name and verse.
When I was growing up, my mom had a "You are Special" plate that we used on birthdays and special celebrations and I loved it. I thought that it would be a cool tradition to take each of our kids on their first birthday to make a plate that they will use for special celebrations (Like birthday doughnuts...)
We chose a bright green and brown.
We then had the girl that worked there help us nail down a hand print. Ryder loved getting paint on his hand. He laughed the whole time she applied it...
Then I finished up the wording with puff paint (hello 1988) and we will pick it up next week. I am already excited about the memory that we made as a family making it and I hope that many celebrations for Ryder will take place around his little plate...

We then followed it with dinner at the Yard House.
It was a wonderful first birthday and I can't wait for this weekend to celebrate him even more!

A not so fun part of his birthday: We noticed in the morning that he had a little rash so we spent the rest of the day watching to see if it got any worse and trying to be pretty bland with his meals.
It didn't phase him, but I always worry with stuff like that.