12.07.2012

"oh christmas tree, oh christmas tree..."

We really wanted to make a special memory for picking out our Christmas tree. 
I made apple cider, I played christmas music, I put the kids in holiday inspired apparel.
We had egg nog, Kit's favorite, in our fridge.
It was rainy and cold.
I was really excited for this holiday outing.
Kit and Ryder had their egg nog in preparation for the Christmas festivities.
(Ryder really liked it!)
 Since it was raining, I had fun bundling Eden up.
 She knows her mom is very silly...
Since about 2008 we have done a table top tree.
Kit is hoping to get a bigger one next year♥.
(He apparently has a lot more confidence in our kid's self-control than I do...) 
 Ryder did not want to be in a picture, so we had to sneak what we could...
We are at a season where he does NOT want to be in any pictures and for anyone that knows me, it's hard when it's a special family tradition night.
When we got home, things started to spiral out of "merriment".
Due to church, Ryder hadn't napped that day, and he wanted to do EVERYTHING by himself.
(I am struggling with this.  I want him to learn and develop his independence, but when Eden is crying and I just need to get something done, I want to rip my hair out in frustration!
Friends, please pray for my patience (or lack there of...) 
We realized that the trunk was too short to fit into our tree base.  
We had to trim up what was already a short tree and buy a new base.
We tried different base options and I tried to duplicate a tree that I had seen on pinterest, and that was a complete disaster...  And can I mention that all of this was so incredibly hard with a tired toddler and sleepy 9 month old!
P.S. it wasn't even 7 pm yet!
We finally got the tree up and got our sleepy babies to bed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
We did manage to salvage the evening.
I love watching the kids experience something for the first time.
Things like twinkle lights:
When it was done, our little charlie brown tree was exactly how I imagined it could be:
(We only put the lights up with Ryder and then decorated the tree alone to surprise him the next morning.)
We pulled out the ornaments we were given at our wedding.
Kit and I get very emotional each year when we hang them, for what they represent.  
Here were some pictures of the favorites:
An of course these are our all time favorite ornaments:
(Not very clear, but you get the idea♥.)
The evening ended well with lots of laughter and reminiscence.  I am grateful for the beautiful moments.  Life is good!
I am hopeful that what we remember aren't the failures and frustrations, but the reason we celebrate this season: 
the birth of our Jesus!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!