8.23.2016

teaching compassion...

On our way home from getting the kids, while driving through East LA, we had this HORRIBLE experience with another driver while we were trying to exit.  At about 3/4 of a mile to our exit, Kit put on his blinker to merge and the other car sped up to us to block us from getting in.  We tried to slow down and the guy was swerving toward us and Kit was trying to figure out how to either merge off or back onto the freeway, without getting us in an accident.  While this was happening, the driver rolled down his window and started hitting Ryder's window, flipped Ryder off, and then made gun gestures with his hands at my son's face.  Then he pulled something out of his car and scratched the side of our car.  ALL WHILE WE WERE DRIVING!  ALL BECAUSE WE TRIED TO MERGE OFF THE FREEWAY! We tried to get a picture to report him but they all came out fuzzy or blocked.  We were all shaken up but it especially hit Ryder really hard.  My first response was to get so mad!  I was shaking with furry... Ryder asked why the man had done that.  My heart immediately softened.  Kit and I told Ryder that the man's heart is really broken and hurting to treat someone like that.  When someone treats people like that, they most likely don't know Jesus and something in their life is really horrible. We took a moment and prayed for the man.  That he would meet Jesus, that his heart would change and that he wouldn't hurt anyone.  I also prayed for peace for my son.  Ryder said amen and then asked if we could listen to some of his favorite worship music.
We turned the man's actions of hate into an opportunity to discuss compassion and empathy with our children.  Ryder hasn't talked about it since but has been at peace since we prayed.
I asked Ryder how he felt and this was his face:
 I'm thankful that that experience is not a regular occurrence and my heart breaks for the people that it is.  I was so thankful when it was over.  When I think of it, I say a prayer for the man... I wonder what his story is and am thankful that it ended with no injuries.  I pray that when situations like that present themselves, that I will take the opportunity to teach and to learn and to put Jesus' love and compassion on display.